How to make new lists in the @aegee.org domain
This page informs how to get a new list in the @aegee.org domain.
Make sure that the list you want to create has not existed in the past, but is now deleted.
A list of deleted lists can be found at https://lists.aegee.org/deleted_lists/.
In this case request list-undeletion, instead of new list creation.
Requesting new list
A new list is requesting by sending a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org , mentioning at least the desired name, approximate amount of the subscribers, and who shall post.
Every list is different, to make the next new list unique think about:
Send the answers of this questions to email@example.com. It takes 24 hours in average until the list is created.
- Who shall be able to post messages?
- All list members
- A limited amount of e-mail addresses
- Absolutely everybody - here a spam filter is installed and the list may not appear under lists.aegee.org
- Who shall be able to subscribe to the list?
- The subscription is unlimited -- everybody can subscribe;
- An approval of the listowner is needed, when people request to join the list;
- People cannot request to join the list, they are only added.
- Shall the list be listed at lists.aegee.org? Since the list of lists is overcrowded, appearance is limited to:
- Only one mailing list per local, project or working group.
- No mailing lists for events (e.g. no su-lalula-l)
- No mailing lists where everybody can send messages
- No mailing lists where listowner's subscription approval is needed.
- How shall the list be called? Mailing lists start with the name of the local/project/working group and end with -L@aegee.org . In between you can put what you want. A mailing list does not contain the word "aegee" in its name, as this is contained already in the domain.
- When a mail over the list is received, its subjects starts by default with the name of the list, enclosed in [ and ]. Do you want to have some other text between the square brackets?
- Who is going to manage the list - to help people subscribe/sign off the lists, to advertise the list, to solve conflicts on the list and to request its deletion, once the list is not needed any more. This will probably be you, but to make your job more redundant, you have to agree with a second person to share the same tasks. Name the email address of the second person.
- Shall be attachments allowed? For very small lists attachments are not a problem, since people know each other. For bigger lists, bigger attachments are disturbing, therefore the size of the attachments shall be limited. Once you communicate how many persons will be subscribed to the list, a limit for the attachments' size will be set
- For lists with up to 10 persons - 2 MB
- For lists with up to 50 persons - 0,5 MB
- For lists with more than 50 persons - 0.2 MB
- When replying to a mail, distributed over the list, who shall get the answers by default?
- to the list - bad idea, when the list has more than 50 subscribers - the more subscribers, the more wrong replies sent, the more recipients of such replies;
- to the original sender only;
- both to the sender and the list - this makes sense when non-subscribers are also allowed to post to the list.
- Every list at lists.aegee.org has a title. What shall be the description of your list? Do not use the term "(mailing) list", start with a substantive.
After the list is created
Once the list is created, the one who made the request will be subscribed to it. Go to https://lists.aegee.org/[yourlist]-l.html to manage it. For this purpose a listserv password needs to be associated with the emaila address used to manage the list. This password exist independantly from your aegee.org account, and the password for your mailbox. A new password can be retrieved from lists.aegee.org/password.
Describe the purpose of the mailing list and send it to every person who subscribes to the list. To achieve this, go to https://lists.aegee.org/[yourlist]-l.html -> List management -> Customization -> Mail Templates -> [Select Template] Welcome message.
When the introduction is ready subscribers can be added from https://lists.aegee.org/[yourlist]-l.html -> List Managment -> Subscriber Management.
To remove subscribers visit https://lists.aegee.org/[yourlist]-l.html -> List Management -> List Reports -> Subscriber Report.
Information from LSoft about the bulk operations, and the file format, is available at http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/16.0/htmlhelp/list%20subscribers/LSCommands.html -> List Management Functions .
A detailed listserv manual can be found at www.lsoft.com/manuals. Especially,
This page is created in April 2007 by Дилян Палаузов